Embark on a rugged hike through the ever-changing glacial icescape of Juneau, Alaska! This unique adventure provides two hours to explore and master glacier trekking techniques.
Extended Helicopter Glacier Trek
Exclusive Glacier Exploration
Our Extended Helicopter Glacier Trek is for adventure seekers who want to maximize their time on the glacier, learn basic ice climbing techniques, and explore more territory than our standard Glacier Trek offers.
The adventure begins as you are outfitted with mountaineering boots, a climbing harness, gaiters, and appropriate rain gear, as well as gloves, a backpack, water, and a granola bar. Once everyone is ready, you will receive a safety briefing before boarding one of our A-Star helicopters for a flightseeing tour over old-growth trees of the Tongass National Forest, impressive mountain ranges, and massive flows of ice that change from white to radiant shades of blue. Flight routes are based on the pilots’ choice depending on conditions to give you the best views of the day.
Upon landing at our base camp on the glacier, your guide will outfit you with an ice axe, crampons, and a helmet, and provide instruction on how to properly use the equipment for safe glacier travel. Once familiarized with the gear, you will hike across the rugged terrain past moulins, deep crevasses, and crystal blue rivers, as you make your way into the glacier’s most remote areas.
Your climbing destination is a massive 300-foot ice wall where you will learn ice climbing techniques and have the opportunity to practice your skills on a portion of this towering feature while on belay.
After an educational exploration of the stunning glacier features and ample photo opportunities, your pilot will return you on a short, scenic flight back to our heliport. Our comfortable vans will then return you to your pick-up point.
Please see FAQ’s page for general information about our tours and safety, here.
- Enjoy sweeping views of the Tongass National Forest and the Juneau Icefield on your helicopter flight to and from base camp.
- Learn and practice the basic techniques of ice travel and climbing as you trek into the most remote areas of the glacier.
- Ascend a small portion of the massive 300-foot ice wall and belay back down while you enjoy stunning views of your pristine surroundings.
- Pose for adventure photos on a vertical ice wall and in front of azure-blue ice features.
- Must be at least 15 years old to participate.
- Must be able to walk unassisted for three hours over steep and uneven terrain.
- Due to safety protocol, we do not allow selfie sticks, iPads, or drones on this tour.
- Must be able to load/unload yourself into our helicopter using steps.
- Must be able to walk unassisted for 3 hours over steep and uneven terrain.
- Weather in Juneau can often be overcast and rainy. Decisions to operate tours are based on safety and tour quality. Should we decide not to operate your scheduled tour we will do our best to reschedule. If this is not possible, you will be refunded in full.
- If **you** cancel your scheduled activity there will be a 10% cancellation fee.