Embark on a rugged hike through the ever-changing glacial icescape of Juneau, Alaska! This unique adventure provides two hours to explore and master glacier trekking techniques.
Your Walk of a Lifetime
Our Helicopter Glacier Walkabout provides a full hour on the glacier to explore, take pictures, and appreciate the magnificent views that surround you. The adventure begins with a short drive to our helicopter base, located next to the Juneau International Airport. We will outfit you in state-of-the-art trekking equipment and give you a safety briefing before you board one of our A-Star helicopters.
Once loaded and ready, it’s time to take off on a Juneau helicopter tour! Experience Juneau’s impressive range of ecosystems while soaring over dramatic mountain ranges, the old-growth trees of the Tongass National Forest, and expansive flows of ice that change from white to vibrant shades of blue, before landing at our base camp on the Mendenhall Glacier. Flight routes depend on the day’s conditions and are up to the pilots.
After carefully unloading, you will meet your guide, who will outfit you with crampons to make it easier to walk on the icy terrain, and a trekking pole for enhanced stability. Once prepared, your guide will lead you on an interpretive Juneau glacier trek to explore the unique features and learn about the local environment.
There will be plenty of time to stop and take pictures of your great adventure before your helicopter returns for your flight back to our heliport. At the end of your tour, our comfortable vans will escort you back to your drop-off point.
Please see FAQ’s page for general information about our tours and safety.
- Enjoy sweeping views of the massive Juneau Icefield and Tongass National Forest on your helicopter flight to and from base camp.
- Experience some of the glacier’s most stunning features as our guides lead you on an hour-long walking expedition.
- Drink pure glacial water straight from the source from one of the many pristine pools you’ll encounter.
- Spend time taking in the scenery and capturing perfect photos for memories that are sure to last a lifetime.
- Must be at least 8 years old to participate.
- Must be able to walk unassisted for one hour on moderately flat but uneven terrain.
- Due to safety protocol, we do not allow selfie sticks, iPads, or drones on this tour.
- Must be able to load/unload yourself into our helicopters using steps.
- Must be able to walk unassisted on mostly flat but uneven icy terrain for one full hour.