The Walkabout offers a personalized experience and the unique opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the Mendenhall Glacier’s most stunning features.
Wild Alaska by Air, Water & Ice
This tour offers the unique opportunity to explore wild and remote Alaska by helicopter, airboat, and foot. The adventure begins with a van shuttle from your cruise ship dock, or other pick-up location, to our seaside base on Douglas Island. You will be outfitted with glacier overboots, rain pants and a floatation device before receiving a pre-flight safety briefing and loading into one of our A-star helicopters.
Your pilot will choose one of many scenic routes to fly you to Taku Point, providing stunning views of the Juneau Icefield and Tongass National Forest along the way. You might even get lucky enough to spot a calving glacier or local wildlife during your Juneau helicopter tour!
Upon landing at Taku Point, you will be greeted by our friendly staff and provided with floatation jackets, hearing protection, and an airboat safety briefing. This is an ideal location for photos and to ask questions before boarding the airboat.
The boat is covered, with open sides for the best possible views and photo opportunities. During your airboat adventure on the river, experience up-close views of the Taku Glacier as you cruise its five-mile terminus.
While gazing from the river, the immense size of the glacier becomes evident as you zoom by within arm’s reach of the ice. The airboat captain will stop the boat in various locations for photos, and to provide informative narration about the glacier and the river basin that it has carved over the years.
Once back at Taku Point, you’ll rejoin your pilot who will fly you up to the Juneau Icefield for your guided glacier walk. You will have at least 10 minutes on the ice for photo opportunities and to take in some of its majestic features.
Don’t miss this unique airboat and helicopter glacier tour! Book online.
Please see FAQ’s page for general information about our tours and safety, here.
- Enjoy sweeping views of the massive Juneau Icefield and Tongass National Forest on your helicopter flight to and from Taku Point.
- View the towering face and terminus of the Taku Glacier from the water aboard a spacious airboat.
- Experience an ever-evolving winter wonderland atop the glacier on a guided walk led by your professional pilot.
- Must be at least 7 years old to participate.
- Due to safety protocol, we do not allow selfie sticks, iPads, or drones on this tour.
- Must be able to ascend two flights of stairs.
- Must be able to load/unload yourself into our helicopter using steps.
- Must be able to ascend 2 flights of stairs.
- Weather in Juneau can often be overcast and rainy. Decisions to operate tours are based on safety and tour quality. Should we decide not to operate your scheduled tour we will do our best to reschedule. If this is not possible, you will be refunded in full.
- If **you** cancel your scheduled activity there will be a 10% cancellation fee.